Our Beginnings

Church and School, 1914 St. John Lutheran Church was founded April 22, 1849 by a group of men at the home of Henry Goehrs. His signature apears on the constitution along with Jobst H. Allmeyer, Fredrich Gericke, Louis Dettmer, Heinrich Runge, Fredrich William Allmeyer. Fredrich Brinkman, Juergen Dettmer, H. Bode, and Jacob Pick.

Dr. Walther, president of the Lutheran seminary in St. Louis, sent a candidate, C. H. Siegmund Buttermann, to organize the congregation on May 13, 1849. He died just two months later of Cholera.

Our First School

School built in 1914
Pastor Eirich served from 1849 - 1866 and the church was built. The school begun by Rev. Buttermann grew until a teacher was called, Teacher F. Schachemeyer of St. Louis. The school was built in 1865.

After Pastor Eirich, Pastor Martin Stephan of New York served until 1875. Rev. J.A.F.W. Mueller served from 1875 until 1900. At that time a larger church was built and a new pipe organ was installed. Also a new addition was added to the school.

Read the full history of the congregation.

 St. John Lutheran Church, 302 W. Holmes, Chester, Illinois 62233 (618) 826-3545